Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Break In The Weather, A Day At The Beach... Pacific City, OR

Haystack Rock From The North Side of Cape Kiwanda

The Center of Cape Kiwanda

Cape Kiwanda
Pacific City From Cape Kiwanda


Today was the first in many days (probably around 2-3 weeks) that the sun decided to shine. Today also, fortunately for me, coincided with my day off. I made the most of the opportunity and ventured to Pacific City, OR:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_City .
Pacific City is unique in many ways, the first of which is that it has both a micro-brew at Pelican Pub (I recommend MacPelican's Scottish Style Ale, http://www.pelicanbrewery.com/) and a couple of tasting rooms such as Basket Case Vineyards (http://basketcasewine.com/). Perfect for the man or woman, like myself who enjoys watching the surf with a cocktail. The second is Cape Kiwanda sand dune, where the majority of the above pictures are taken on top, around the side and in the middle of. I was unsure of the parameters associated with my wondering on the cape and often found myself in situations where I would suspect a "Do Not Enter" sign should be. In all of my searching in the aforementioned areas I could not find a single sign or another human being which made the experience even more surreal and exciting. I will admit that at points I was a little uneasy when the force of a wave slamming into the cape shook the sand under my feet. Two of the pictures above (2,3) were taken in situation where I had to capture the shot before the sea captured me. Though there were not signs in the particular areas that I adventured into, after a more thorough search of the cape I did come across many well marked areas that were designated as "Do Not Enter."
Alltogether I loved Pacific City. If you have the chance to go, take the opportunity and don't bother looking for the signs.
Pacific City is located approximately one hour NW of Salem, OR and we would love to bring you there.
Love,
Connor & Alyssa

No comments: