Thursday, September 18, 2008

Buffalo, Bears, Elk and Trout







So, we made it to the rockies, over the river and through the woods. Against all odds we made it through not one but two nights of camping in Yellowstone National Park. Now we are sitting back in the hustle and bustle of the "civilized world" in a Comfort Inn and Suites in Boise, Idaho. I know in our previous posts we mentioned that the drive through South Dakota on highway 90 was boring. Dear God, did I ever wish I was back on highway 90 after driving highway 84/86 through southern Idaho. I guess we did decide on the drive because it was less hilly than going north to Coeur d'Alene and hence better on our vehicles. Little did we know how flat and treeless the world could get and still not be desert.


Before we got into Yellowstone we were blown away by the beauty of the Big Horn Mountains. There was also the stop off at Connor Battlefield, oh thats right and I messed some people up.


On a brighter note we were fresh off two perfect days of 70 degree weather and cloudless skies in Yellowstone where we saw Buffalo and Elk galore. We did see a grizzly (from our car) at dusk on our first night walking back into the woods about 10 miles from our campsite. Along with the bear we listened to Elk calls that were close enough to wake us out of a deep sleep. But my personal favorite were the trout. I was able to catch a few brown and a rainbow on the Firehole River the most unique river in the park and one of the most unique trout streams in the world. This is because along its path a high number of gysers pour over its banks and heats the river beyond typical trout stream temperatures (take a look at the river here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firehole_River ). If you look close at the picture below you can see I am fishing it in my sandals and shorts mid-day wadding through the perfect mountain stream. Alyss and I took some amazing pictures and saw some great sites in the park spending a full day driving and stopping and driving and stopping. One of our favorites was the battling buffalo which we have a video of but I can't seem to upload it so I will have to do that soon for you.


Alyssa wants you to know how scared of bears she was, very.


-Alyssa&Connor


1 comment:

sotiris said...

HI there great blog if you would like to reciprocate links with me on any of your blogs or websites my email is sotiris@wealthclub.ws or just go to http://www.worldinternetsummit.ws
http://www.organicgardening.me

Sotiris Bassakaopoulos

P.S Have a wonderful Day